Full Time Gardener Wanted
Syon Park is the London home of the Duke of Northumberland and is listed as a Grade I historic landscape, covering about 200 acres. While the history of the Estate dates back to the fifteenth century, much of the landscape was laid out by Capability Brown between 1750 and 1770, with many later additions. The Estate contains a number of commercial ventures, but is centred upon Syon House, one of the last great private homes in London, dating back to the sixteenth century.
The postholder would be responsible for maintaining the areas surrounding the House, centring on the Courtyard Garden, to a very high standard. The Courtyard Garden is in the centre of Syon House and was laid out by Lady Salisbury in the 1990s. It is a parterre with gravel paths and box hedges and has a white colour scheme, based on a permanent framework of evergreen and deciduous shrubs, along with bulbs and seasonal plantings.
The postholder would be responsible for development and maintenance of The Pavilion, a riverside private garden on the Estate.
The postholder would be involved in looking after a small range of glasshouses and propagation facilities in association with the Gardens team.
The post-holder will need to be motivated and capable of working both as a member of a team and on their own initiative. With sole responsibility for their areas under their care, they will often work alone and will be responsible for organising their daily schedules for routine work
Key aspects of the post:
- Maintaining and developing Courtyard Garden and areas surrounding Syon House to a high standard
- Developing and implementing plans for seasonal planting and longer term development in areas of responsibility, including annuals, herbaceous plants and bulbs
- Regular maintenance of box hedges with battery powered and hand tools.
- Maintaining and developing gardens of The Pavilion, to include mowing
- Assisting with basic propagation and glasshouse duties
- Assisting with other operations on the Estate in association with the gardening team
- A pesticide qualification would be useful, but is not essential as training may be available
- A horticultural qualification would be an advantage, but all applications will be considered
- A driving licence would be useful, although not essential
- 25 days annual leave
- Some weekend work is required (currently about four weekends a year)
The post is full time and permanent, and paid in line with the London Living Wage. We will consider flexible working if it fits in with the requirements of the post.
Syon Park includes a riverside SSSI, parkland and meadows, a trout fishery and woodlands. The Gardens and Arboretum are centred on the famous Great Conservatory, built in the 1820s, and cover about 40 acres. They include a large lake and a wide variety of plantings from herbaceous and shrub beds to wildflower meadows and collection of more than 400 species of tree.
Apply by sending a CV with covering letter.
Deadline for applications is 30th April 2019.