Our History » Modern Syon
Through the second half of the nineteenth century Syon House was a private home, although used as a hospital during the First World War. There was bomb damage in 1940, but by the mid-twentieth century Syon was still essentially a private country estate, although the city had long since spread on all sides. Although remaining in private ownership, Syon, like many other great estates, sought to cover maintenance costs through a process of commercialisation. The House was opened to the public and a major garden festival opened in 1968 to cater to the burgeoning interest in domestic gardening. One of the first garden centres was opened and a series of show gardens, sponsored by magazines and nurseries, were installed throughout. Most of these modern features have now been removed, leaving the essential Syon: a magnificent historic house with very important interiors set in a grand landscape of trees and meadows, of walks and vistas.
Call us today on 020 8560 0882 or email us at email@example.com